Wednesday, May 19, 2010

D.C. so far...

OUR FLIGHT:
Better than I expected, but I still wasn't a huge fan of flying with an 11 month old. We had an angel of a flight attendant who was so good to us and we were able to sit together in the back of the plane WITH a seat inbetween us, so Sam basically got her own seat. She did throw up on Nic and pee on me, but we made it through ok.

OUR APARTMENT:
Totally gross, but Nic has worked so hard to make it comfortable for me. The first thing we bought when we got here were cleaning supplies and rubber gloves. I am trying very hard to feel comfortable here, but I will admit it has been hard. We are living in a great location and we really can walk everywhere so I am grateful for that. To describe our apartment, it's next door to a Pica Taco, and it's a serious "basement" apartment. It's basically a studio, very small. Nic and I are adjusting to a double bed, and right now Sam is sleeping in a suitcase until my Uncle brings us a crib (my Uncle is so generous and is driving down from PA to bring us a crib, high chair, and toys for Samantha!). The apartment has a full kitchen and I am grateful for that. Right now I am just really missing having a TV and a kitchen table.

So it sounds like I am just complaining...and so far that's all I have done ;) I think it will just take awhile to adjust to. It's just hard to not have a yard, a car, and all of your comforts from home. Sam's schedule is all thrown off and I am struggling on how to put her down for her naps without a rocking chair. I don't know if I am homesick or just taking awhile to adjust. I am trying to focus on the fact that this is a really neat opportunity for us and that we will probably never get to do this again. I also think things will get better as I feel more comfortable in this city and learn where everything is. I wish I knew someone out here to do playdates with, maybe we will make some friends at church that have some young kids too.

Here are some pictures so you can see what we have done so far...



Ben's Chili Bowl, a famous DC cultural eatery, was SO good. We loved the food and I am sure we will be back again. It's only about 3 blocks from our house.
Here is Nic going done into our hole apartment. The steps are killer, they are so steep its almost a ladder!
Here is Sam exploring our new place.
This is our view looking out our front door, nice!!
Our trip to the Zoo has been the highlight so far. It is so huge and we didn't even come close to seeing it all. I am glad that we have a lot of chances to go back!
Here is a beautiful park by our apartment. I LOVE that there are squirrels everywhere. I have never seen black squirrels before and they have them here.

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

Looks like you guys will see a ton of cool things!!! Totally wishing I was there

Jen said...

So green and pretty!

Unknown said...

Despite all the dirt and space restrictions and learning to adjust to making new routines, remember that you're making memories with your family. And in the years to come, you'll look back on them fondly. I'm excited for you guys! That zoo looks amazing, and I also love the little black squirrels! Too cute.

Have fun! Oh, and also, isn't it fun to change a diaper at 30,000 feet?!? I'm thinking of starting a new kind of mile high club for mothers that have done that! hahaha

Lindsay said...

I totally know how it feels to move to a new place. Of course wyoming is not as expensive to live as DC!! Sam is so cute!! I hope you guys get settled soon and am glad that at least you guys are together!!