Saturday, August 30, 2008

Twilight, Seriously?

I am mad at myself for giving in to peer pressure and reading this book. I know this post will upset a lot of people, but the book is ridiculous. I was so confused as to why someone would want to read a love story about a vampire--but everyone assured me that it's not as weird as it sounds. IT IS EXACTLY AS WEIRD AS IT SOUNDS! She is not bothered at all that the boy she is in love with is an actual blood sucking vampire. How can it not be evident that this book is ridiculous when Bella is asking Edward if she can watch him hunt bears & mountain lions? The book is very high school, simply written and geared towards younger girls. So why do so many adults like this book? I just can't grasp the "true love" feeling when the book is based on a high school romance. I prefer true love stories that could actually happen. And I am sorry, but I can't stand that the word "EYES" is in every sentence!! You think I am kidding, reread this book....
My eyes, of their own accord, flickered to him....
His eyes somehow managing to smolder...
His voice was was dark and his eyes were cautious...
Those are all in one paragraph! I can't handle it.

No matter how much Stephenie Meyer tries to portray that Edward is some gorgeous creature--your thoughts immediately go back to the fact that he is a blood sucking, fast driving, pale skinned, mind reading psycho vampire!!

I thought that the lines were very corny and that the book was very plainly written. I was offended that an LDS person would swear in her books as well. There are 469 pages in this book, and not a lot happens. The whole book is conversations. Basically, they meet, spend a couple of days together talking all about the details of what a vampire is and does, they go to the baseball game and then she gets hunted and attacked. I just don't get the obsession with these books. There are many more interesting, better written books then Twilight.

Ok, lets have it Twilight fans!! I am no book critic, but I really, really don't understand the fascination with this book!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Well, I have to say that I really enjoyed the series.

Best writing ever? No, of course not. Believeable? Not for a second.

But totally entertaining, in my opinion.

nd for what it's worth, I enjoyed the first and last the most overall.

Anna Heywood said...

Interesting...I went in to it not expecting to like it based on the very facts you listed: vampires(not any kind of a science fiction fan), Young Adult Fiction (I would like to think I am so beyond that) and being very basic in her writing style (I thought I was more sophistcated than that.) But when I began to read I couldn't put it down. It was the first book I had read in years, and it helped me to enjoy reading again. Because it was simple to read (I could understand and read fast), it was set in High School (which we have all experienced and can remember) and it was just a little out there as far as the story line went; I really enjoyed it!

In fact, I enjoyed the first 3 a lot. I haven't finished the 4th just yet, because it is waaaayyy too Science Fictiony for me to relate to at all, I am having a hard time getting through it.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy it, I am anxious to hear what books you have enjoyed and which seem interesting to you to read. Can't wait for Wednesday!

Wendy said...

I echo a lot of Anna's sentiment. In college, I'd forgotten how much I love to read. Then Twilight became the first book of several that I've read so far this year. I like Twilight because it's NOT real-life. Reading should be an escape, and I think it's helpful to use your imagination the way these books do. I've already talked to you about all of the symbols in this book, and I think you definitely get a sense of true love between Edward and Bella. It doesn't matter that they're in high school; Edward has the mind of an immortal and Bella has always been more mature than their peers. Plus, my mom and dad discovered true love in high school. :) I think the point is that their love exists DESPITE the fact that he's a "blood sucking, fast driving, pale skinned, mind reading psycho vampire". Just some food for thought...

Allie and Fam said...

Ditto to the rest of the posts! I was surprised at how much I did like the books!! But I did enjoy reading your perspective on it though.

Marcus, Randi, and Isaac said...

Ashley.....you're CRAZY! Just Kidding. I too loved the series. I loved it so much that I've read it several times. Call me stupid, but I liked the simple writing. I don't ever read books because I get too distracted and can't keep focused long enough. But this I could read fast and not get bored. I also thought that Stephanie Meyer portrayed Edward and Bella as quite mature. I forgot they were only high school students sometimes. I mean Edward is a century old. And I don't think he's a psycho. He doesn't kill people, just animals and isn't that why God gave them to us in the first place, to eat? And of course this could never happen in REAL life, but I give Stephanie credit for having an imagination. Besides the first book is really only an introduction. Maybe if you could read all the other books you'd see how impressive her way of tieing things together is. And as for her being LDS and having curse words in her book, well I'm not sure what to say about that. It was her choice. Doesn't necessarily make her a bad person, so I'm not upset. I have read worse profanity though. All in all was it simply written, yes, but simple concept, I don't think so. I do love how you never sway to what others think, Ash. It's one of my favorite qualities about you. You're a leader. Maybe you should stick to realistic love stories though. Sounds like this series really got under your skin. Love ya.

jess said...

I think it's all a matter of opinion. I grew up reading harry potter so I'm used to the total fake stuff. When you always are reading scientific articles or college textbooks it's nice to have an easy read and not have to worry about analyzing it. I like them a lot.

Kevin and Jamie said...

I agree with you on the whole "eyes" thing. I enjoyed reading the series, i have read them all, but I got really sick of hearing about how beautiful edward was and how Bella thought that she was so horrible, but everyone else worshiped her. I thought that whole thing was annoying. and I also felt that some of them were to adult for younger readers. I have cousins who are 11 and 12 who read them, and I thought there were a lot of topics in the books that were not appropriate for them. But just for an easy read I enjoyed the story line. I love Halloween so I liked the whole vampire theme of the books. But I would much rather read Harry Potter, much better writing and had better moral lessons to be learned.