Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Love Davis County!

When Nic and I were dating I would give him such a hard time about everyone's obsession with Davis County being the best. I have to say, after living here for over 3 years I am really a fan! We will get to the food in a minute...but where else in the state are you 15 minutes from your horseback riding lessons, 2 temples, the Great Salt Lake, Downtown Salt Lake, the Davis County Fair Grounds (oh yes--the fair is FREE), hiking & camping and the best food ever! We literally walk across the street to go to church, we are less then 2 minutes from the freeway, I just love it! They have local grocery stores with great customer service and tons of family owned businesses. Not to mention that the west side of Woodscross & West Bountiful still have a lot of small farms with tons of animals and horses to drive by and see. Don't forget the Bald Eagle watching in the winter!!!

I love that every great restaurant around her is not a chain!! With the exception of Brigham City (Maddox, Maddox Drive Inn, Idle Isle) Davis County has the best food in the state! If you haven't tried the local favorites--its worth a trip! Here is my run down on our favorite places:
Cutlers-Is my favorite restaurant at the moment! They have 2 locations, 1 in Centerville (the best) and 1 in Bountiful. They have the BEST sandwiches in the world and you will love their homemade cookies!
Nielsons Frozen Custard- Do you want to take a step back in time? Try this fabulous old fashioned diner! They are known for their frozen custard and to-die-for chicken sandwiches! Only cash or checks are accepted (like I said, old fashioned diner)
El Matador- My husband's favorite! Great Mexican food, great service! They have the best homemade chips & salsa!
Parson's Bakery- This place will break your diet! Seriously the best rolls, cookies, and cakes! It's located across the street from Nielson's so you can hit those both in the same trip!
Robintinos- There is something for everyone at this traditional Italian restaurant! My husband loves their lasagna and I love the garlic cheese pizza! Great garlic & cheese bread as well!
Mandarin Restaurant- We don't go here as much as we would like, but this place is ALWAYS packed! Great Chinese food! Some reviews online say that they travel long distances just to eat Chinese at the Mandarin!
Pace's Dairy Ann- Very similar to Nielson's. They have great hamburgers & ice cream cones. Again, only cash or checks are accepted.

Have I forgotten any? I love supporting local businesses! So does everyone in my family! Check out this site for ways to keep your business in Utah http://www.localfirst.org/ . Do you have favorite businesses close to where you live? I would love to hear about them!!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love neilson custard also.....it is soooooooo goooooood!!!

Kevin and Jamie said...

its so funny that you said that you never go to chain resturaunts, Kevin and I were just noticing the other day that in the year that we have lived in Logan we have only gone to local places in Cache Valley to eat. They really are so much better! Who needs chains, when you can eat local!!!

Allie and Fam said...

This is a great post!! I love a lot of those places too, since I am also a resident of Davis County!! I will keep my eyes open for others, and pass them onto you!!

The Bailey Bunch said...

I love living in Davis County too and El Matador is one of my absolute FAVORITES!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree...Davis County is AWESOME!! When we lived in Layton I just loved it, everything was so close...now were in Cottonwood Heights and I miss it terribly!! But, we still go visit family in Davis County a lot and it still feels like home!!