Monday, September 29, 2008

Man's Search For Meaning

Well, today was the last week in our book club for reading "Man's Search For Meaning". If you read along, or have read this book before, please post your comments on it!
I loved this book. I really enjoy books that I can learn from. I loved how thought provoking and inspiring it was. Like all heroes who have endured hardships, it is amazing to me how he was able to see the meaning in his suffering. Some of my favorite lines from the book are:
"He who has a Why to live for, can bear almost any How"
"In Spite of all of the enforced physical and mental primitiveness of the life in a concentration camp, it was possible for spiritual life to deepen"
"The Truth--that love is the ultimate and the highest goal to which man can aspire"
"I understand how a man who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved"
"Tell her that I talked to her daily, hourly. You remember. Secondly, I have loved her more than anyone. Thirdly, the short time I have been married to her outweighs everything, even all we have gone through here."
"Suffering ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it."
"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

The last quote is the basis for the whole book. Like I said, it was so inspirational! I highly recommend reading this book. It has made me catch the WWII bug--I want to learn everything I can about it.

October's Book is going to be Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I would love to have you read along!

1 comment:

The Doutts said...

Ashley I found your blog through Allies and I hope you still remember me. It's Kara (Brower) Doutt. It's good to see you and hear that things are well with you. Keep in touch.