Thursday, April 17, 2008

When are you going to have kids?

I know many of my friends can sympathize with the frustration that comes from hearing this question! I want to respond: "Are you inquiring about my medical problems or my sex life? Either way, it's none of your business!". In our Marrieds Seminar class yesterday we had a long discussion about that. Having children is between YOU, YOUR HUSBAND, and the Lord--and that's it! I think its so insensitive for people to ask a couple that; namely because you have no idea what is going on in their lives. I have friends reading this who are trying to get pregnant, and can't. I have friends reading this who have gotten pregnant and lost their baby. I have friends reading this that can't have children because of medical problems. (I love blogs because you can totally get on your soapbox and vent :) I know there are things that I do that are irritating, but this is just one of those things I wish people would be more careful about. It is such a sensitive, private, matter. Having said all of that, my family is pretty good about this with me. I don't mind our siblings or parents joking about when they are going to get to be an aunt/grandparent etc! I hope people with children will just understand that they shouldn't judge other people. That's a good lesson for all of us on every subject isn't it! Alright..I am done. Let me hear your opinion....!

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Amen sista! I know people having difficulties concieving, and it's a heartbreaker everytime thay hear those words...
I hope all is going well for you. It's great to keep in touch this way!
Aubrey

Kristin said...

Ha ha! I love you, Ashley, and your soapbox! I love it when people have babies, but I agree. I hate being asked about it because then I have to tell my sob story.

Allie and Fam said...

Thank you! For all of those same reasons, and more, I couldn't agree more with you if I tried! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Hazel Patricia Robbins said...

Hey Ash!!

Well said!! I am glad you said all that because I have never thought about how that question may affect people. I don't think I have asked this question too often, but I will definitely be sure not to ask it again.
I love your blog and I am so glad you and Nic are staying here!!

Tricia