Sunday, April 27, 2008

Institute

Nic and I have had the opportunity to serve on the Institute Council at WSU over the Marrieds Committee this school year. Thursday was our last class. Nic and I had been counting down the days for it to be over just because of the work and stress that accompanied that *calling, not to mention the driving in rush hour every Thursday from downtown SLC to Ogden. Yesterday when we left our final class, I cried the whole way home. I am really going to miss the people on our committee, our instructor, and the wonderful lessons and spirit that we were able to feel every week. I am not just posting this because I recently gave my blog address to my committee either ;) ! Nic and I have had so many fun memories up there. When Nic and I were dating he was on the council over the Friday Activity Nights and we would be at the institute until 2am washing dishes and cleaning up the gym on Friday nights. We have been so blessed by these callings and now that its over I am sad to be leaving. Not to get too preachy in this, but I really have a testimony of service. When you try to give service to the Lord he blesses you SO much that you are just further indebted to him. I hope I am not setting myself for getting a new calling...

*Side note for my extended family: "Callings" are opportunities to serve in our church. They are volunteer positions that you are asked to serve in and you can choose to accept them or not. This was a calling that Nic and I received at the school he was attending, but we also have callings in our own church that we go to on Sunday's (i.e. teaching Sunday School)

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey Ash, it is so great that you had that opportunity!!! It's so true what service brings to our lives. I wish that we would have made it to one of your activities!!

Chelsey Hansen said...

Hey Ashley, It was soo much fun to have served with you guys on the commitee. You're so impressive, i must say! very organized and a great example to me. I agree with you about blessings of service. I found that week after week, we would have things try to push our committee service to the back burner, and yet week after week, we didn't let them win. We have truly been blessed as well from being on the committee, and we too will miss it.