Monday, June 27, 2011

What is the opposite of a feminist?

I am a stay at home mom. Most of my days are spent playing with my daughter, running errands, etc. When I go all out (clean the house, cook dinner, and do the laundry) I want/expect my husband to praise me for my work when he comes in the door (which he usually does).

Today I cleaned like a mad woman. I washed/folded 4 loads of laundry, I scrubbed my kitchen floor on my hands and knees, washed all of the dishes, cleaned up the yard, swam and read books with my toddler.  I did my job.

While I was taking out the garbage at the end of my day, I had the thought "I hope Nic notices everything I have done around the house today" when BAM. I was overwelmed with this thought "How often do I thank him when he walks in the door for working and studying all day long. For doing his job."

I am sure everyone reading this is a better woman/wife than I am. How could I have had this so backwards for so long.

5 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Very interesting thoughts.

I'm sure it all varies by household. The things considered your jobs maybe aren't the same in another home or another marriage.

What does your husband expect you to do? My job is to keep the kids and their needs taken care of. I also plan and shop for and cook meals, keep some clean clothes around, and to have the house reasonably well taken care of. Anything on top of keeping track of the kids is a bonus around here. Any of the added pressure I feel is self-induced.

Some days all that gets done is that the kids are cared for. And that's fine. When Heath is home our jobs are divided pretty evenly.

He helps with anything I ask without complaint. I try to show appreciation for him, but I'm sure I could do it more often. Thanks for the reminder to recognize the blessings of his offerings to our family.

I like to remind myself that I am a STAY AT HOME MOTHER, not just a housewife. My priority is family, then house if there's time and energy for it.

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

I guess the way I wrote that didn't make total sense. Nic expects the same of me, to simply take care of Sam. But when I do anything extra I expect extra praise, when I don't even praise him for doing his normal job.

Aubrey said...

That's such a great point! Don't we have the best "job" in the world!? I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Sheryl said...

I feel the exact same way!!! We are still totally in tune!!! Whenever I get frustrated with Tom for leaving something out or when I'm feeling like I have to do everything around the house along with all the appointment making and errand running and phone call making, I remind myself that Tom is working hard all day to make all of those things possible! Turns my frustration into gratitude...most of the time..:)