Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I'm Crushed

You know I have been searching for a car. Endless hours on KSL, car dealership websites, looking and searching for a good car at a low price. Nic and I had $3,000 that we had set aside for a second car. We knew it couldn't give us the car of our dreams but we hoped it would get us a good car that would last us a couple of years until we could afford a better one. 

Well last weekend we stopped at several dealerships asking if they had anything that matched our price range. We were either laughed at by the salesmen or were showed pimped out ghetto cars that wreaked of cigarette smoke. I was getting pretty disappointed. 

On our last stop we went to a reputable car dealership here in Bountiful. Nic went in and asked if they had anything and came back with a couple of options. They pulled around a 2001 Ford Escape. Are you serious, it was like the cutest car I had ever seen. It had 120,000 miles on it which was a lot but it was a lot more car than we originally thought we could get for that price. The car had just been traded in, so it hadn't been detailed or inspected. We took it for a test drive and I was instantly in love. It was everything I was looking for in a car..small SUV, great storage space, not to mention the look of it was my favorite. The check engine light was on in the car. The salesmen explained that they would fix anything that was wrong with it, do the inspection & emissions and completely detail it before we got it.

So we bought the car. We paid $3,072 for it and the Kelley Blue Book said it was valued at $6,532. I was ecstatic. I wanted to call everyone I knew. But I held off so that I could drive the car around in person to show everyone in our family. We were disappointed that we would have to wait  until after Memorial Day to pick it up but I tried to be patient. Tuesday came and we got a call from the dealership. They said there was a lot of work that needed done, about $800 worth so it would be an extra day. Nic and I didn't mind because we felt like better they put the money into it then us. Well today we got the call. After doing all of that work they found even more problems on it that would cost over $2000 more. It wasn't worth it for them to put that much money into it. So, we are getting our money back and going home with no car. I feel so crushed I don't even know how to describe it in words. I pictured us in that car. I already put together a bunch of things to more over to that car as soon as it was ready. I am just crushed.

So we are back to square one. I think we are just going to put off buying a car and wait until Nic can get a more permanent job. Hopefully we will have better luck the next time around.
Isn't it a cute car?

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Yeah, sure it's cute... But when you're stranded on the side of the road with a toddler, it doesn't matter how cute it looks! :) Wise choice.

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

LOL, true Aubrey!

Jen said...

Oh Ash! I'm sorry. I can see why you wanted it to be a surprise!

It's darling. But Aubrey's right, you are lucky to find out now.

P.S. I will keep my Ford comments to myself ;)

Kevin and Jamie said...

Hey Ash! That would be so disappointing. But It's good that you were dealing with an honest dealership. Some places might have just let you take the car and then you would have ended up with those repairs yourself. I bet you'll find a good car soon. Good Luck!

Rebekah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.