Saturday, March 5, 2011

Owl Sighting

You know I am a wildlife lover. Seeing an owl in the wild has been on my list for a long time. Last night Nic and I were driving home and one swooped right in front of our car. It flew over our car for several seconds and it was beautiful to observe. I had no clue what kind of bird it was at first (Nic identified it for me). When it first appeared I thought it was a seagull because it was so white, but as it got right in front of our headlights you could see how large its wingspan was. It perched on a post and of course we pulled over to observe it for awhile. It was so neat to see. Now, I am tyring to identify what species it was. It was very white on the underneath, similar to the picture above. It had dark plumage on it's shoulders and tail. No "ears" sticking up, just a round face. From what I can gather I am guessing it is a barn owl. I will keep researching!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh I bet that was awesome! A neighbor of mine says she sees one here in the neighborhood but I have yet to see it.

We're the Hamilton's said...

Fun stuff! I also love owls. I will tell ya a story about it one day. But I do see one flying around our neighborhood once in a while.