Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'M FINISHED!

1 week and 521 pages later I have finished Jane Eyre! I LOVE this book. I am not going to lie, the language was hard to understand! But once I got into it I thoroughly enjoyed it! Here are some new words that I learned from reading this book (which I had to look up of course:)
phlegmatic--self-possessed, calm, or composed
oculist--An optometrist
indefatigable--incapable of being tired out; not yielding to fatigue; untiring
victualage--food; provisions; victuals
languid--lacking in spirit or interest; listless; indifferent
lachrymose--suggestive of or tending to cause tears; mournful
ferocity--a ferocious quality or state; savage fierceness

Here are just a couple of my favorite lines from the book:
"To be your wife is, for me, to be as happy as I can be on earth."

"...but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now. He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely"

"In spirit, I believe we must have met."

"I thank my Maker, that, in the midst of judgment, he has remembered mercy. I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto!"

"I have as much soul as you,--and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you."

"I offer you my hand, my heart, and a share of all my possessions."

"I love you as my own flesh."

"I ask you to pass through life at my side--to be my second self, and best earthly companion."

YOU GOTTA LOVE IT! if you have read this book, I would love to hear your opinion!

1 comment:

Anna Heywood said...

Congratulations! You have got to feel a great sense of accomplishment! Those type of books are not easy to read; I can't believe you did it in one week! You have definitely peaked my interest in this one. What are you going to read next?