Sunday, August 18, 2013

Beth's Happy Day

"Because when you read a book as a child it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does..." from the movie You've Got Mail.

For year's I have been trying to find a book from one of my earliest childhood memories. I remember my mom stopping what she was doing, picking me up, and reading me this book. It makes me cry when I think of this special moment & memory with my mom.

From the book....I remembered a pretty girl, her mom, the girl helping her neighbor, some laundry, a kitten, and a Birthday cake. I kept trying to come up with a title...Jane's Birthday? No that wasn't it.

The internet is amazing...but how do you search for a book from my 3-year-old-mind memories. I would look around every couple of years when I would think about it, but recently it was nagging at me so badly. I wanted to have this book to read to my own girls. I started searching vintage books online, but I had no idea what year it would have been, title, auther, nothing. I knew it was old..for sure not an 80's book. I asked my parents & siblings and no one could guess off of my clues. But then I remembered that it was a similar shape and age to "Tie My Shoe" another book from my childhood.
Quick side story on that...my sister Jenny actually got me this book when I had Samantha and it was such a wonderful sweet gift to get.
 
So Nic suggested looking up the publisher and the "Junior Elf  Books". I googled that under images and there she was "BETH'S HAPPY DAY". I knew it as soon as I saw it. I bawled. The memories flooded back.
 
I can't tell you how happy I am that I now know what book I have pictured so many times. I ordered the only 2 copies that eBay was selling and I will continue to look for a couple more copies. I am so happy!



 
 


3 comments:

Jen said...

This made me cry! The internet is beyond amazing.

kruegerkt said...

Oh I am so happy to see this book! I would have never remembered the title, but seeing that picture in the book takes me back to my childhood. Thank you so much!

Meg Go Run said...

This is one of my favorite childhood books, too! My mom even crocheted me little red slippers with white pom poms on them so I could have slippers like beth. :)